Monday, August 4, 2014

The Project Begins!

Truly, it would be more apt to say that the projects are beginning. Over the last month or so I have been steadily researching ideas and gathering materials to start my foray into the world of dollhouse miniatures.

I can't remember what the impetus was, but it was probably something I saw on Pinterest. I have been interested in miniatures since I was a little girl. There's a classic story in my family about my 6th birthday. I was offered the choice of any three activities I wanted to do to celebrate. My choices? The library (nerd!), the snack bar at Walmart (I CRINGE at the trashiness!!), and...the dollhouse store. I never had a classic dollhouse growing up, but I was always fascinated with small versions of real things. I loved the models of buildings on display at museums. I loved my collection of miniature dogs. I loved emptying all the books off my bookshelf in order to decorate an "apartment" for my Barbies or Trolls. Mostly, I loved drawing out miniature versions of all the things I owned -- or all the things I imagined a character might own.

So, here I am, age 30 with my first true dollhouse: an unfinished wooden 5-room victorian that I nabbed on Craigslist for $30. I also scored a desk for the same price, and have outfitted it with what seem to be the basic supplies (glues, a few acrylic paints, Mod Podge, X-acto knife and cutting board, rulers, some balsa wood, lots of scrapbook paper, odds and ends from around the house, and a few other things). I have an empty dollhouse, but a head chock full of ideas and ten clumsy fingers ready to start fumbling around with the fiddly little bits that have always entranced me! Join me on my journey/steep learning curve and stay tuned for updates along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment